This app is a great fit for so many speech and language goals due to his flexibility and open-ended format. It can be used for children who have difficulty with:
Find out the features of The Surprise!
Save your child's story and writing.
Q. How can this app be used to help speech and language development?
A. This app lends itself to a wide range of oral and written language goals:
1. Narrative Language Skills: The transition from speaking in simple phrases to more complete, connected sentences is often a challenge. This story lends itself well to increasing the mean length of utterance, plot development, adding detail, and joining related sentences with cohesion and clarity
Added tips for professionals:
2. Body language Interpretation: Because it is a wordless story, the viewer needs to carefully watch the characters’ facial expressions and body language in order to understand the plot. This is an important skill for social-cognitive/pragmatic inference development.
3) Perspective-taking: The plot switches back and forth between the boy’s point of view and the mother’s. What are they thinking? What does the mom know and when? How can we tell? How do the friends feel when the mother waves them away?
4) Emotional Labels: By reading facial expressions and looking at the context of the story, vocabulary can be incorporated that includes emotional context: wondering, surprised, nervous, disappointed, etc.
5) Syntax & Morphology:
7) Fluency: Children who are working on using fluent speech can use this app to practice their skills in a fun way.